I’ve been working with VIPKID for 7 weeks now and am absolutely in love with this side hustle. VIPKID is a platform for teaching Chinese students English online! First thing first: If you missed my first post with general Q&A about VIPKID, skip over to find it here: Everything You Need to Know About VIPKID .
Below you will find an update of what I’ve learned about the company and culture, how student achievement is measured, what I’ve earned so far, and how you can get started too.
What I LOVE about VIPKID and why I want to share it with you:
- Teachers can continue to do what they love regardless of their circumstances! It offers teachers an opportunity to continue what they are passionate about when they are staying home, OR alongside their full-time job.
- It’s been an answer to prayer financially.
- right now money – using a skill set I already have – without sacrificing time away from my family – in my pajama pants- with the lessons provided.
- THESE KIDS ARE PRECIOUS. It is an amazing feeling to turn on my camera and be transported to the student’s world in China, and vise versa. When our countries have such vastly different political differences, it is so cool to connect on this level with an incredible culture exchange. When you watch the lesson playback, you will see the student sitting there 30 minutes before class starts just WAITING on the edge of their seat for you to arrive. They will practice introducing themselves over and over to get it just right, and their parents will comb their hair and encourage them. The whole experience is beautiful and I’ve learned so much.
- Each month VIPKID offers its teachers different incentives to make more based on different criteria. It’s fun to set new goals and I love that they are creative in motivating us each month with bonuses!
Updated May 13th: 359 parent followers, 147 students taught, 217 classes taught 5425 minutes of teaching completed
If you are interested in signing up for an interview, click here. If you use this link, email me with the email you signed up with and I will add you to my private group on facebook to coach you through the interview process and answer any questions you have! firstname.lastname@example.org
These are all things I’ve learned since my last post!
VIPKID uses a flipped classroom model with a curriculum that progresses through 6 levels.
Each lesson consists of these components:
- Students watch a pre-class video to introduce the lesson content.
- 1:1 class with the teacher (25 minutes): It is very unique because students have the ability to APPLY what they are learning with their English skills to a real life situation with the teacher!
- Post-Class Computer Homework. The first part of the homework is interactive “game-like” review on the computer and the second part on the computer is review slides that collect data from the students’ performance so far.
- Review Workbook: Students have a review workbook with fluency readers that are also built on in class with the teacher, resources for parents to help their child study at home, and different projects to choose from for each unit. VIPKID is doing their best to include project based learning options for students to do on their own for each unit.
- There is also a video extension library where American teachers have submitted “virtual field trips” on specific topics for students to make further connections.
CHECK THIS OUT! In my last post, I told you about Kobe Bryant investing 100,000 in October (several other great investors too). Here are some more fun facts. VIPKID has experienced 30% growth month-on-month. There is a 95% renewal rate for student packages and a 98.9% renewal rate for teachers after their 6 month contract. VIPKID operates in 32 countries for English teachers and Chinese students. We will see VIPKID offered to more nationalities in coming years!
January 2016- 700 teachers January 2017- 7,000 teachers
March 2017: 9,500 teachers and 90,000 students
April 2017: almost 11,000 teachers and 100,000 paying students
January 2018 projection: 30,000-40,000 teachers
VIPKID partners with TESOL International Association to provide ELL and ELT in China and around the globe with world-class teaching and learning resources. VIPKID partnered with Coursera to provide 500 teachers a Coursera certification course through Arizona State University. There will be more professional development opportunities offered soon! They are also partnering with ETS to create TOEFL Primary Test Prep to students in China.
The VIPKID business model allows you to increase your income by 50% on average. The average teacher’s pay is $1500, but the earning potential is $5000+/month. I know you’re like “Okay, but how much have YOU made?” so here ya go!
I don’t mind sharing my payout with you in full disclosure. Below is the screenshot from March.
$1436 for 3 weeks in March (exactly half of what I made teaching 2nd grade full time) and it will be $1350 for 3 weeks in April for a total of $2786. It is direct deposited into your bank account on the 15th of each month.
(updated May 13th to add screenshot of pay!)
Keep in mind, I teach FULL TIME, have a network marketing business with Arbonne, and also like to have a little fun. : ) So if you do not have a full time job, your income earning potential will be much greater than this. Yes, to make this amount of money along with my other commitments I put a significant amount of time into VIPKID. I saw the opportunity for what it is truly worth and committed to making a difference for us financially. The only thing you will lose out on is sleep, however I did not schedule any classes during parent teacher conferences in March or a week in April that was busy and we traveled for my birthday. It is flexible and there is not a minimum of hours you have to work.
Schedule: In my timezone, the ‘peak times’ on week days are 5am-9am CST and weekends 8pm-9am CST scheduled in 30 minute increments. There are no teaching times available at all between 9am-8pm CST because they are sleeping in China, but you can try your luck at scheduling non-peak times during the week 8pm-5am. 4am-5am will definitely get booked, and I’ve gotten several 9-11pm CST time slots booked here and there during the week.
I’m not a morning person, but I’ve learned that I CAN DO ANYTHING I PUT MY MIND TO. Like anything else in life, there are excuses that can be made.
Pardon my french, but this is what I tell myself when I get up at 4:45am to teach from 5-6am before work! Dave Ramsey is no joke y’all. Well, Dave didn’t quote this… but you get the picture. Discipline.
Give me a shout if you have any questions. If you missed my first post with general Q&A, find it here: Everything You Need to Know About VIPKID .
Think this opportunity may be a good fit for you? Sign up here!
Remember to email me with the email you signed up with email@example.com . I’ll verify it and add you to my private group to share the videos I created for each step of the referral process with you. The process takes about 7 days to get hired, and then about 3-4 more days before you teach your first class. I totally wish I would have had a support group like what we have created when I went through this process alone haha!!
You have nothing to lose by giving it a try!
I hope you found this update helpful! What questions do you have?